RetroPie 4.0 released
It has been teased for a while now but version 4.0 of RetroPie has finally made its appearance. This new release brings a host of updates and new features and is touted as being more modular than ever.
A few of the updates and enhancements include:
- Improved management of RetroPie components.
- Better N64 emulation.
- Improvements to configuration of Xbox/8Bitdo gamepad
- Analogue support in lr-mame2003 and correct aspect ratios for games.
- Splashscreen/Carbon Emulation Station theme updates.
Changes from the previous version (v3.8.1) include:
- Setup script improvements:
- Added the ability to install/update and remove packages.
- Added help docs to the setup script.
- Renamed mednafen emulators to beetle to match upstream libretro repositories.
- Renaming of ES input configuration which was causing confusion for shoulder/trigger inputs.
- Much faster Emulation Station start-up in gamelist only mode.
- Updated Xpad driver included with “trigger to button” enabled, so mapping of Xbox 360 / Logitech trigger buttons is easier.
- Input configuration script to set up player 1 automatically on pifba and pisnes.
- Configuration Editor can now help you configure player gamepad order for libretro emulators.
- Updated PSP emulators ppsspp and lr-ppsspp with a fix for the pausing during play.
- Autostart improvements: boot to kodi option added – (exiting kodi will take you back to emulationstation).
- Improvements to mupen64plus Glide64 video plugin, which is now the default.
- Added new libretro emulator based on mupen64 – lr-glupen64.
- lr-mame2003 updates – support for mice/analogue joystick support. Fixed aspect ratio issues.
- Updates to various other emulators including reicast, lr-fceumm, lr-nestopia, lr-snes9x-next and the RetroArch frontend.
- SDL2 dispmanx scaling, so SDL2 software can render to a lower resolution and be scaled in hardware. This enhances performance on mupen64plus for example, without having to change the video mode.
- Improvements to the Bluetooth module, including the ability to try and reconnect to devices in the background, and an option to switch off our mapping hack for 8bitdo, so devices with a newer firmware will map correctly for RetroArch. Fix pairing with Android phones.
- Splashscreen improvements: New default splashscreen and a new splashscreen repository with additional splashscreens.
- Support for configs/all/runcommand-onstart.sh configs/all/runcommand-onend.sh user scripts
- New experimental modules:
- TRS-80 emulator sdltrs.
- TI-99/4A emulator ti99sim.
- Oric 1/Atmos emulator Oricutron.
- Dinothawr (lr-dinothawr – standalone libretro puzzle game).
- lr-mame2014 (Late 2014/Early 2015 version of MAME – uses 0.159 romset)
- Alternate Virtual Gamepad by sbidolach.
- Various other bug fixes and improvements.
For a full list of changes go to the official RetroPie 4.0 release page at – https://retropie.org.uk/2016/08/retropie-4-0-released/
You can download the new version from here – https://retropie.org.uk/download/